My Time At The Comet | Teen Ink

My Time At The Comet

November 16, 2013
By Crater-Girl BRONZE, White City, Oregon
Crater-Girl BRONZE, White City, Oregon
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It is an adventure. It is a dream. It is unique. That’s my year at C High School. An experience I will only have once. An experience that changes my whole life. Part of it is all these people I met. All these people don’t even know how interesting they are, and what they mean to me after only two months. This year at C shows me that school can be fun, bus rides can be something I enjoy, teachers can be people I laugh with, getting up early in the morning has a purpose. C changed my view of life and how I see myself. C made me enjoy living. But let’s start at the beginning.
When I came here, I didn’t know what to expect. Honestly, I had no idea if I would make a lot of friends, if people would like me, if I could actually become happy. I had a few good friends in Germany, but I’ve never had a lot. I’m not the kind of person who has a lot of friends around her. But in Germany, I was at a point where nothing made sense to me anymore. Getting up in the mornings for school was a pain. I just couldn’t look forward to the time ahead. I had fun with my friends, though, but without them it felt pointless. So, I knew I had to do this exchange year. I had to change things, to do something new, but I wasn’t sure if things would actually change.
As soon as school started I realized that it wasn’t going to be too hard. I met Hannah on my first day, and we’ve been best friends ever since. I met Sam, and it turned out that he’s a pretty crazy guy who makes every day into a special adventure. I met Logan who doesn’t even know what a nice and awesome person he is. I met Tristan, Topanga, Skylar, Scarlett, and Jessica, and I think I will have lots of fun with all of them. I met people who want to know me and to spend time with me. These people make me get out of the bed every morning. These people make me feel like I am somebody that others like to be around. I started to like who I am, and what I do and say, because of them. They may not know it and they may think they haven’t really done anything, but actually they’ve done a lot.
I’ve always been a really shy person who wouldn’t talk to anybody until she knew them very well. I’ve never liked school, and I’ve never really liked myself. I was pretty sad back in Germany, and something was missing. C changed all that. I’m not shy anymore. I talk to lots of people, and I just tell them whatever is on my mind, and they still like me. They’re still my friends, and I started believing in myself. School is the best part of my day. I meet amazingly interesting people that I could talk to forever. I can’t believe that this is actually happening
That is what C is like after only two months. I’m going to be here for eight more. Everything will be different. I’m already looking forward to it, to everything I will experience, to all the things I will share with my new friends. Right now, I want to hug them all and thank them for what they’ve done to me without knowing that they changed everything. I’ve never been so happy, and I’ve never been as much myself before.
So, when you ask me what C is to me – it’s them. C High School is a bunch of awesome and talented teenagers that changed my life. Maybe they saved it.


The author's comments:
I'm an exchange student from Germany, and I've been in the USA for about 2 months now. These 2 months have changed my life, which is why I wrote this. Actually, it was an assingment in school to write about what our school means to us. As you can tell from this story this school means the world to me.