Running | Teen Ink

Running

May 5, 2014
By AshleeH GOLD, Enterprise, Utah
AshleeH GOLD, Enterprise, Utah
17 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Have you ever had that dream where you try to run, but no matter how hard you exert yourself, nothing happens?

My thoughts feel that way. My mind runs at a million miles an hour, but I can never make sense of it all. So many things I need to do, want to do, have to do… It haunts me. My body craves sleep, and frankly so does my brain, but no matter how hard I try, I can’t stop the thoughts from continuing.

Call me an insomniac, but it’s so much more than that.

It’s like I have so much to say, but my mouth physically can’t form the words to express myself. I have so many ideas, but my body can’t keep up because there simply aren't enough hours in the day. That and the fact that fatigue always sets in after a time.

I feel cemented in place, wanting to escape but never seeming to make my feet move. Demands come at me a million miles an hour, like a semi truck out of control. All I can do is stand firm, give in to the inevitable, and hope that the impact won’t hurt so much.

The dream? To change the world. To make a difference. To help people.

The obstacle? Insignificant things that absorb my time like a black hole. Dissolving, disappearing, vanishing. Leaving forever, never to be returned to me.

And so I stand here, frozen in time. My heartbeat thuds in my ears, my blood pulsing through my veins. My brain races, trying to convince my dormant limbs to move.

I take a deep breath, closing my eyes. Then I take my first step.


The author's comments:
High school can be pretty stressful. Writing about it gives me an outlet, especially during finals week.