Is Our Friendship Worth Fighting For? | Teen Ink

Is Our Friendship Worth Fighting For?

By dgeileen PLATINUM, Livingston, New Jersey
dgeileen PLATINUM, Livingston, New Jersey

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
― Oscar Wilde

Friendship is a give and take: how much can your heart give?

In my mind, I keep chasing after you, calling your name, sitting next to you in gym class. All because I thought we were friends. I want to think we are friends, but I don’t want to be delusional. I don’t want to fabricate a story where we’re the deadly duo, able to take on anything together, when in reality it’s just been a cat and mouse game.

We used to talk every class period we had together. I still talk, but you don’t reply. When I called your name yesterday you just kept on walking out and speed up to catch up with someone else. During volleyball I saw how you were going to grab another ball to join another group when the coach asked us to triple up. I guess you’ve moved on from our usual group of three, haven’t you. Or are you just trying to shut us out?

Please don’t.

I don’t want to lose another friend. I have enough conversations in my mind with the friends I’m not talking to anymore. There was a girl, my old best friend, who ignored me once middle school started…and I didn’t fight hard enough for her. I just stopped talking to her as well. This year, she moved to Germany and I had no idea. I never said bye.

So I’m going to try fighting for you to let me in. But I want to know if our friendship is worth it. Do you want to be friends as much as I do? Or will I just be an annoying, desperate girl trying to chase after someone who will never accept me as her friend?

What did I do wrong? And the more important question…how can I be let back in? How can I return to being your friend (and are you still mine)?

I'm willing to give it my all, so now it's just up to you.

About a friend since sixth grade...who I don't know if will still be my friend this year ):

GirlGenius SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey

The question for today is* : If you could solve any world crisis right now, what would it be?
(*-GirlGenius's favorite quote)

I...experienced... that... a... lot. Trust me, if the other friend don't care much about you, always know that it's that person that's missing out, not you. I loved how you spilled out your emotions and tranferred them to words, letting me feel how melancholy you feel. Luckily, I'm a genius, and I know how to handle this. The person that doesn't care about you isn't a friend. That's an enemy. She's fighting to get away from you, and cares about scurrying away from you. You are great - contribute your talents and love to another person instead of wasting time with that "friend." Trust me, if that person isn't giving in, then it's worthless. Read my lips, worthless. Don't bother. I hope this will help you with your friend.

Extraterrestrial SILVER, Singapore, Other

"Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

Argh, this gets me. So relatable, so common, yet still such a painful experience when it happens... the best pieces of writing have elements of personal experience in them, because the writer simply knows how they felt during those events. However, there's still a vast difference between knowing and transferring those emotions into paper and written words -- which is something you have done very beautifully here. You've captured the struggle one goes through to keep a hold of a friend who is leaving, while simultaneously fearing the fact that maybe they are leaving because of us, because we are too clingy or cowardly or just not good enough. I think this will be a great piece for teenagers everywhere, since teenage years are times when we lose and gain friends. You remind us that friendship is a two-way street; if you are the only one struggling to maintain the friendship, then the other person isn't worth your effort after all.