The Pool | Teen Ink

The Pool

May 29, 2015
By RockLobster BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
RockLobster BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.
Art Buchwald


There was a  pool in the backyard of my old house. There's not that much to say. It started as an idea in my father's head on a warm summers night. It started out of reach, but slowly became a reality. There was plot of land selected in our backyard to undergo the transformation from small grassy field to a place of excitement and joy. It didn’t take to long to build. The workers worked all year ,because the concept of seasons is alien in California. A land where everything was slow to change. But our family lives all changed the day the pool was finished, it became an avenue for childhood adventure and oasis for from the scorching sun. Over the years the pool slowly started deteriorate it contrate wall cracking, the water turning from a bright blue to a sickly chlorinated green. But it didn’t care as long as it acted as a refuge for those wanting to escape the same old life. The children slowly started to grown up and the pool cried as its old age started to creep on it, when it wasn’t fueled by the dreams and delights of children. Our children and the family left. A new family moved in. They said, “surely a pool is too dangerous, the children could drown.” The pool was covered over left abandoned. A plot of fresh new grass lays in place of the pool now. The pool waits underground hoping for a chance to live again.