Electricity | Teen Ink

Electricity

October 12, 2015
By Joerocks BRONZE, Ridgefield, Washington
Joerocks BRONZE, Ridgefield, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Electricity is one of the necessities of human life today. Without electricity, we can’t play xbox, or watch youtube, and well slowly die without those resources. But what happens when that energy source is exposed to your human flesh? Everyone should realize the dangers of this resource because of the traumatic story that happened to me (not really).
   

It was just another usual afternoon. My parents were out going to costco or something, and my sister had a friend over at our house. She had really long blonde hair and liked watching Disney Channel like all twelve-year-old girls. Nothing would have warned me about the waves of electricity that would soon pulse through my veins.
I was upstairs playing Super Mario bros. with a sticky wii remote in my hand (someone probably licked it).


My stomach started purring as loud as a cat when I realized my stomach was grumbling. I was starting to get hungry.


So I made my way downstairs to the kitchen area. The hardwood underneath my feet was very cold, because I was used to the carpet in the living room.


While walking through the kitchen I noticed the light was very dim in the kitchen. I couldn't see much. So I went over to turn on the light with the light switch, but I noticed something very odd. The protective cover around the light switch was removed (I still have no idea why it was). I could see all the wires were exposed in there. Me as my ten-year-old self thought it was really cool. Then I had an idea pop into my head.


“What if I put my hand in there and feel the wires?”. As naive as I was at the time, I thought this was a good idea. So I reached in there and touched the wires. While I was touching the wires I realized my main goal I was over here to do: to turn on the light.


So with my hand in the wiring I flicked the lights on at the light switch. ZAPPPPP. This wierd feeling started going through my whole body. Then I realized, I got electrocuted! I freaked out because that was the first time I ever had gotten electrocuted.


I thought I was going to die! I rushed upstairs to my sisters room and told her what happened. “Don’t sweat it, you're totally fined.” she said. So I carried on to go back and save princess peach from bowser for the rest of the night.


Everyone should realize the dangers of electricity because of this story I just told you. My eye witness account of being electrocuted shows how electricity can be dangerous. So what should you do? You should make sure to keep all protective covers on your light switches to make sure kids don’t electrocute themselves. Remember to use electricity for the necesities of life, and to be safe with it.