It's Not Talent, it's Practice | Teen Ink

It's Not Talent, it's Practice

July 22, 2016
By Littlemustangfilly BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
Littlemustangfilly BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you hear a voice from with in say "I cannot paint" then by all means paint and that voice shall be silenced -Vincent Van Gogh


 I can draw. Not only can I draw but people tell me that I am good at drawing. I can also paint and sculpt and I'm a relatively decent writer. I also play guitar and I understand the oncept of playing piano but I don't have one to practice on. That's what this article is about, practice.

   

People seem to have this idea that you have to be born with talent to be good at something. This is not the case. When I first learned to hold a pencil I couldn't draw an anatomically correct anything. My first drawings of people looked like potatoes with faces just like any other little kids work.

   

I first got serious about drawing when I was seven. My mom had gotten me this toy horse for christmas and it came with a little book on how to draw horses. I eagerly sat down and followed the directions on the page and when I was done you know what I did? I cried. I cried like a baby because My horse didn't look like the horse in the picture and I thought I couldn't draw. Thankfully my mother explained to me that one day I would be able to draw just as well as the people who created this book had done but I would have to practice and that's what I did.

     

Now, my Mom happened to have gone to art school and she happened to be good at painting and drawing too and some might argue that I had to have been born with talent because my mother is an artist too. That is not the case.

     

 I was able to develop a talent through practice. My mother was able to explain the importance of practice because she went to art school. Talent Is something that you developed. No one outside of my family called me talented when I first started with any of my hobbies. I'm not trying to brag but now, I hear it all the time. I'm just trying to make a point. If there is something you really want to do, understand that it is going to take time before you reach the level of skill you are shooting for. You are not going to get good over night and you may not notice your improvement right away but I promise if you are patient, you can learn to do anything you want to do. So don't give up before you've really begun.