After Summer | Teen Ink

After Summer

By nataliedc12 PLATINUM, Crafton, Pennsylvania
nataliedc12 PLATINUM, Crafton, Pennsylvania

"If nobody is listening, am I making any sound at all?" ~ Alice Oseman

After summer, I want to be able to say that I created. I want to have stacks of drawings and paintings on my desk and have new artworks plastered on my wall. I want to have tens of completed short stories that talk about things I’ve longed to write about. I want to be able to spruce up my room with homemade room décor to give my space personality and life. Whatever happens, I want to say that I stayed creative, lived creatively and just created.

After summer, I want to be able to say that I tried new things. I want to explore different places in my town – taking photographs and documenting my adventures throughout of course. I want to try new things – cooking smores by the light of a bonfire, and volunteer at my local library - as well as do things that I haven’t done in a long time – tie-dying some white shirts with my sister, and being able to spend my weekends with my family. I want to experiment, live more loosely and freely and – of course – be able to say that I had fun.

Last but not least, after summer, I want to be able to say that I’ve changed. Whether physically, mentally/emotionally or socially, I’d like to be able to proudly acknowledge that I’ve grown and matured since the beginning of the summer. I want to be able to understand my family a little bit better. I want to be able to understand the people I interact with a little bit better. I even want to understand myself a little bit better.

Whatever it takes let me be able to say that I achieved at least a portion of the goals I set.

And - whatever happens - let me be able to say that I tried.