Am I Good Enough? | Teen Ink

Am I Good Enough?

By K_Wellman SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
K_Wellman SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

Who is the better fit? Did I work hard enough? Am I good enough? These thoughts filtered through my head as I went through the motions of volleyball practice. 

Earlier that morning, I woke up feeling very exhausted and jittery. I scarfed down my delicious peanut butter and banana toast for breakfast. While thinking of the next few hours ahead, my stomach tied itself in knots like a shoelace. When the final day of volleyball tryouts arrived, I felt excited because I worked for this day all summer.

My dream, for as long as I can recall, had been to make the varsity volleyball team as a sophomore. I wanted to play with the upperclassmen and sport the columbia blue and gold long- sleeved jerseys. I wanted to have a special handshake with coach and for my name to be announced in the Hangar for all to hear. I wanted to earn a varsity letter to put the word “volleyball” in golden yellow on the back of my varsity jacket. Finally, the day to make these dreams a reality had arrived.

Since our new school was being built, practices were held at Good Sam, a neighborhood school. My mom drove me to the school, and I blared pump up songs in my headphones the whole ride there. 

After what had seemed like an hour drive, we arrived. I raced into the jet black and tiger orange gym. I put on my shoes and sweaty knee pads. As I stretched nervously knowing only one varsity position was available, my nerves screamed on the inside. I had been competing against another girl the whole summer for the position. Thoughts filtered through my head: Who is the better fit? Did I work hard enough? I hope I worked hard enough. Regardless of my anticipation, I knew sometimes life won’t go my way. The tryout session dragged on for two hours. For one of the drills, Coach called two people, and they competed against each other. The goal was to hit as many balls over the net and in the court as possible. We hit from a spot that I am not comfortable with. Knowing that this drill could be crucial to making the team, I gave forth my very best effort. I was on fire! Ball after ball, I slammed down with confidence. Sweat dripped down my face, and I didn’t even care. Slowly, the nervousness I felt eased as I focused on the job I had to do. 

Finally, tryouts were over. Coach called names and pulled people into a private classroom. The seniors went first, then juniors, and sophomores. 

“Kaylynn,” called Coach Johnston. I walked into the bright white classroom. There, three smiling coaches sat on a polyester couch in front of me. I immediately started to panic sweat, and my heart pounded. I gently sat down, putting my clammy hands in my lap. For a moment, we sat there awkwardly looking at each other. 

Finally, Coach Gustwiller looked at me and announced, “Congratulations! You made varsity! You worked so hard this summer.” Feeling relieved, a big smile spread across my sticky  face. I teared up in pure joy. 

Coach Girlie handed me tissues and uttered, “You’re going to make me cry!” 

“Thank you so much! I will do my very best” I exclaimed. Joyfully, I thought to myself, Did I really just do it? Did I just make varsity? 

After hearing the news, I picked up my bag and trudged out the door. I hung my head low on the way to my mom’s car. I tried to hide my excitement by walking to her car expressionless. I threw my bag in the back of the car and plopped down in the seat.

“What happened?” Mom questioned.

“I made varsity!” I exclaimed as tears streamed down my face in pride as I realized I am good enough.