Game Winner | Teen Ink

Game Winner

By uAlreadyKno BRONZE, Concord, Michigan
uAlreadyKno BRONZE, Concord, Michigan

It was my seventh grade year and a basketball game day, it was a big game and my team and I were determined to win!  We were going up against a team we had already played earlier that season, Jonesville.  We were after redemption because we had been beaten by them the first time we played them.  It was at their house too, so they had to protect their home court! 
Nothing else was on my mind all day except for the game; I was potent on the game and concentrated on nothing else. My team and I were ready for the game and we were looking forward to beating Jonesville!  On the bus ride over I was listening to my music to get me in the right mind frame for the game.  Music helps me get ready and pumped up before games. 
After we had been warming up for a little bit, I noticed all my shots were too long even my layups were shot to hard.  I felt like this was going to be on my lowest scoring games of the season.  I started to get in my groove though and some of my shots were falling, but most of them were going long.
It was finally time, starting lineups were being announced and the game was about to start.  There’s nothing like being announced in front of the whole crowd as a starter, it gets your adrenalin going and helps you get ready for the game!  It was now time for the tipoff, who was going to get it?  Jonesville’s center just out jumped our center whom was Jake.  But it didn’t matter to us that much, it was only one possession.  We were battling the whole first quarter with the score lead changing constantly.  At the end of the quarter it was a very close game and I had only scored two points in the quarter.  I was right about thinking it was going to be one my lowest scoring games of the season.  It was just my shot was going long consecutively, it seemed like the hoop was a foot shorter than normal. 
The game was close the whole first half, and I had only four points, I felt like I was letting my team down.  We went in the locker room down by two points, our coach came in and gave us a speech to get us going and wanting to win the game more than anything!  We came out in third quarter out scoring Jonesville by the end of the quarter; I had four points that quarter and was still not happy with the way I’ve been playing. 
It was now the last quarter of the game, Jonesville had come back to tie it up early in the fourth quarter.  The lead was changing continuously and when it got down to the final minute they were up by two points!  But it wasn’t over yet, my teammate Chase scored a basket to tie up the game, then within the last thirty seconds Jonesville had scored again going back up by two!
The last fifteen seconds were very intense; we had the ball under our own hoop.  Tucker passed the ball into Chase who dribbled to the half court line finding Riley open, once Riley received the ball he dribbled to the baseline to make a pass to me on the other side of the hoop.  Time was winding down and once I got the ball I shot immediately just as a Jonesville center was going up to block me, the ball just missed his fingertips and then ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. The buzzer went off while the ball was still in air then “swish” the ball goes in and we win by two!  My adrenalin was rushing all through my body as my team ran out to the court and picked me up as we were celebrating the victory over Jonesville!