Slender | Teen Ink

Slender

June 4, 2013
By The_Doctor GOLD, Canon City, Colorado
The_Doctor GOLD, Canon City, Colorado
17 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. ”


Summary:

The mask over the man’s face was heavy and plastered; his breathing was limited to short breaths that were labored. The trees danced with the wind as it came in gusts that signaled a storm coming. Hopefully he would have time to do what he needed to do in this short amount of time. The man wore a suit, all black, even with a black tie. He wore gloves, albino in nature to his skin. He straightened his tie anxiously as he waited for a good fifteen minutes. In impatience, he began walking through the maze of oak trunks and through the crackling of the dying leaves below his feet. The leaves were crinkled and dry, withered and old. Winter was coming and swiftly approaching, it was November. A gust of wind blew by and sent a shiver down the man’s spine. He grounded his teeth together, in chill and impatience, as he continued to wait. Soon enough, he heard similar crackling to the steps of his own. He grinned under his face mask and hid behind a tree. The singing of a youthful child came echoing through the trees. He seemed to be skipping, singing about the alphabet and about math. He skipped past the man’s tree, and the man began pursuit. Walking slowly, he waited until the fence was 600 yards away. The boy stopped suddenly.



“Mister? Where did you go? You said I’d see my mommy instead of going home on the bus... Mister?” his high-pitched voice rang out straight ahead.



Making no noise, the man grabbed the little boy’s backpack with-out making particular notice to him-self. The boy felt a small tug on the pack however, and turned around to face a pale white head. No eyes, nose or mouth. No hair, no expression. The boy let out a scream and thrust his backpack off and at the man. He darted to the left, paralleling the fence, and tried to go back the way he came. He ran faster and faster, fearing that he would be caught by the big and tall man with no face. He saw a figure ahead of him and he smiled triumphantly. He began shouting ‘help’, and he now began to cry. He stopped running and cried. He did not cry because he was scared, not even that he had found a person. He was crying because the figure in front of him was the Slender-man.


The_Doctor

Slender


Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 6 comments.


on Jul. 12 2014 at 12:15 am
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
325 articles 10 photos 1165 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

I only made it to chapter 5 tonight, but I will surely read the rest tomorrow! Keep up the great work! ^_^

JRaye PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 10 2013 at 6:00 pm
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan
43 articles 10 photos 523 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This is awesome! I wasn't real familar with "the slender man" before, but I have to say this is a cool story! Really well written, really intriging! The emotional elements with Steven and Jason were perfect, fit in the story perfectly. Great job, keep writting! :)

on Jun. 7 2013 at 7:33 pm
Childofthemind BRONZE, San Marcos, California
1 article 0 photos 42 comments
dude you have a gift. and on a website spesifically for gifted and tallented writers you are in a class all your own. keep writing.    :D

on Jun. 7 2013 at 12:32 pm
Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida
10 articles 0 photos 444 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Haha, I know and it's okay. ^_^ I figured that this was probably originally for a book report in your English class and the teacher must have had you point out the types of conflict within your work (or that you had done it for your own benefit to make sure that you included a variety of different conflicts). Anyways, excellent work and have a great day! :D

on Jun. 6 2013 at 10:47 pm
The_Doctor GOLD, Canon City, Colorado
17 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. ”

The first response to my book, and it is positive. Thank you. Yes, I apologize to you and other readers for the (man vs man) typo, it was not meant to be there. But, since it is, I will explain it. "Man vervus man" conflict involves stories where characters are against each other. This is an external conflict. The conflict may be direct opposition, as in a gunfight or a robbery, or it may be a more subtle conflict between the desires of two or more characters, as in a romance or a family epic. This type of conflict is very common in traditional literature, fairy tales and myths. One example of the "man versus man" conflict is the relationship struggles between the protagonist and the antagonist stepfather in This Boy's Life. Other examples include Dorothy's struggles with the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Tom Sawyer's confrontation with Injun Joe in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or the entire book of Count of Monte Cristo. This defines the basis of Slender.

on Jun. 6 2013 at 10:05 pm
Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida
10 articles 0 photos 444 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

The photo accompanying this story intrigued me, so I decided to read this entire novel. You're an excellent writer! At first I was a bit confused at the rapid changes in point of view, but you tied it together beautifully in the end. The only thing that I found odd was that in chapter 13 you had "(man vs. man)" following one of your paragraphs. Other than that, awesome job! :D