So Who Actually Does Run the World? | Teen Ink

So Who Actually Does Run the World?

This summer, my family and I traveled to India for the first time since I came to America, 13 years ago. Spending time with aunts, uncles, and my many cousins, is always a great time, however, India is also a very crowded country; it’s a struggle to even step out of the house with all of the shameless looks directed at you. You have to pay close attention to who’s around you, what you’re wearing, and most importantly, ensure that men know not to look at you in uncomfortable ways. I had the unfortunate luck of experiencing an extremely scarring event, when a middle-aged man, around my dad’s age, blew a kiss at me, and proceeded to “accidentally” touched my inner thigh, all while I was sitting down on a bench.

I was absolutely mortified and disgusted, and my parents were furious. Throughout the rest of the 3 weeks I was there, I slowly sank into a depression.  Of course, I tried not to show it, but emotionally, I was falling apart; through one simple action, that man managed to both disrespect me and himself, and forced me to question the true humanity and equality that exists in our world.

We live in a generation where people tend to disregard the social imbalance between the two genders. Whether it be in a workplace, at school, or even in everyday life, it is standard for a man to receive higher attention to their personality and intelligence, and, therefore, attain better treatment. We constantly emphasize how “all men are created equal,” but are women also included in that popular philosophy?

It is known that both men and women have helped shaped our nation into what it has become today; the only difference is that men are widely appreciated for their hard work and dedication, while females are quietly acknowledged for their contributions. Because of this social injustice, there have been many campaigns and debates regarding whether or not a women should be on the $20 bill. As a female myself, I highly support having both genders on our currency; it would officially take note of our significance, and allow women to be truly recognized for their importance, instead of their looks or gender.

This past year, a campaign called “Women on 20’s” has aimed to compel change by attempting to convince President Obama the necessity of replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.  Award-winning journalist and creator of this campaign, Susan Ades Stone, asserts, “I really can’t think of an argument against it… This is a simple, symbolic change, which could be a catalyst for future initiatives around women’s equality… We are a very different country than we were in 1928… We are also a more inclusive and diverse country. That should be represented on our bills.”

By communicating how a female on US currency will benefit many women, Stone proves how inspiring this currency change can become. Many people often experience traumatizing events every day and this $20 bill can help girls to realize that there are people in the world that empathize with the injustices and humiliating events we constantly face. Women are already actively involved in society, but this change could also motivate even more citizens, not just females, to stand up against the constant degradations, and fight for gender equality.
In a news release earlier this year, Stone also states that “there are so few reminders in our everyday lives of great women who’ve contributed to the shaping of our nation… putting a women on a $20 is like having a little pocket monument.” Wherever they go, people are bound to see some reminder of a male’s dedication towards our country, but it’s rare to see a women’s. As a result, men sometimes tend to believe that they hold more importance, allowing them to believe it's morally okay to strip them of the confidence they currently hold, like that man did to me. But by having the $20 serve as a “little monument”, citizens everywhere will have the constant reminder of how both genders contributed towards the growth of our nation.

On the contrary, many people already do truly understand the importance of gender equality, but this $20 could further signify the coming to end of women’s suffrage. Generations ago, women were constantly denied the opportunity to participate in such events that doesn’t include housework; now decades later, our country has evolved and gradually become a more inclusive nation, emphasizing how the currency change will inspire more recognition of females.

Replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill would have countless effects; even with their constant efforts, women are often ignored for their valuable contributions and role in society.

Maybe, if that man had understood the importance of gender equality, I wouldn’t have had a him touch or ogle at me in uncomfortable ways. As the female written Declaration of Sentiments once stated, “All men and women are created equal,” and it’s necessary that people acknowledge the significance of gender equilibrium. Women suffrage has continued for too long, and it’s about time that America included women further into society.

As a female, and women rights advocator, I strongly belive that gender discrimination is one cruel thing that existst in our world. Through personal experiences, I realized that enough is enough, and there are some things we can change in order for gender equality to exist.