Are Video Games Addictive? | Teen Ink

Are Video Games Addictive?

October 29, 2018
By Anonymous

Dear Readers:


Video games can ruin your life and maybe ruin your relationships with your girlfriend/ boyfriend or whoever. Video games been around for a really long time and a lot of people play video games. “In October 1958, Physicist William Higinbotham created what is thought to be the first video game. It was a very simple tennis game, similar to the classic 1970s video game Pong, and it was quite a hit at a Brookhaven National Laboratory open house”(Tretkoff). Nowadays video games are different from back then. Video games have better graphics than the 1970s games. In 2007 the game Crysis was known for to have the best graphics. Games with the best graphics can be more addicting than games back then. Video games are addicting because people would play games instead of doing their responsibilities and students won't do well in school.

Some may say that video games are not addicting. One of my friends says video games are not addictive.  One reason video games are addictive is because you wouldn't want to move; you just want to play games all day and do nothing. I would know because I used to play video games non stop in middle school. I would play games and not do any school work, that's how addicting games were to me. People would play games instead of doing their responsibilities. When you play games non stop, you would forget on what you have to do around the house or a building. For example, they wouldn't do their chores. They would say “ I'll do it later.” As a result of their addiction, they end up not doing it later. According to Washington Post, “ Boys tend to be susceptible to compulsive gaming than girls.”(Gibbson) Girls tend to do more responsibilities than guys. Reason why girls attend to do more responsibilities than guys because guys attend to attach to games more than girls. Some may say that video games are not addicting. One of my friends says video games are not addicting because it's boring, but not all video games are boring and when someone finds a game that they really like, it is hard to stop playing.

Another reason video games are clearly addicting is when kids go home, all they want to do is play video games. Students won't do well in school because they wouldn't care about homework from school when they can play video games all day long.  For example, they play games all night and they go to school they would be tired and tend to fall asleep in class. Students would be tired in school and not do their work. According to Washington Post, “Any kid who is trying to avoid overwhelming stress and bullies at school by playing videos games.” (Gibbson). Additionally, they play games trying to get away from bullies and stress. When you are playing games you would forget anything that happened or forget about the bullies and stress. You would be so focus on playing games than the bullies or stress.

Video games can be addicting because people would play games instead of doing their responsibilities and students won't do well in school. People would have a better life than the people who are addicted to video games. If you are addicted to video games you are hurting yourself by just sitting there playing games and being unhealthy. People who are not addicted to video games are more active in sports and they are somewhat healthy. Being addicted to video games can effect your social relationships and your family relationships. It's hard to find a job when you just play games at home and do nothing. Don't let yourself get addicted to video games unless you want to stay in your room all day and not  help others. It can ruin your future.


Sincerely,

Michael J.