You Don't Know the Man Himself | Teen Ink

You Don't Know the Man Himself

April 30, 2019
By Seamusyurd BRONZE, Moline, Illinois
Seamusyurd BRONZE, Moline, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The man himself Bo jackson. The man who changed everyone’s opinion on playing two sports at a time. Bo jackson was a very god gifted athletic person. And he played two sports in both college and pro level. No one can ever say they did that except the man Bo himself. Now, his story really brings out the meaning to all this. Because he isn’t your ordinary kid he has been through a lot. But, he still was the greatest to ever do it.


Bo Jackson arguably one of the greatest athletes of all time. The man who played two college and professional sports. Born in Bessemer, Alabama and Born on November 30, 1962. Obviously we all know Bo dominated in football. And everyone in the world knew he was gifted with crazy athleticism. But, one thing people don’t know is how great of a baseball player and a person he was. Bo was always a football player and he just loved the physical part of football. And he was amazing at football. So colleges started taking notice and offering Bo a scholarship to play football. Bill Curry the head coach of the Alabama Roll Tide came to Bo’s house one day and said,”Bo would you wanna play for Alabama”?

Bo responded,”Yes I would coach”. “Well son you would have to sit your first 3 years or so until our running back that we have now leaves”. Bo was in shock and just in disbelieve. Then, the next day Bo comes home from practice all tired and worn out and he sees head coach Pat Dye of Auburn University sitting at his table with his mother drinking tea. Bo walks over and Pat gets up and shakes Bo’s hand. After that Bo and Pat sat down and started to talk and then Pat brings up playing football at Auburn. He said,”Well Bo we obviously want you at our program”. Bo replied,”Seriously coach”? “Will you give me a fair shot”? Pat looked at Bo right in his eyes and said “ Bo you will get as many opportunities and chances as you could imagine. So, after that Bo got up and said,”I will be playing at Auburn University”. Now Bo was still in High School at that time and still playing football,baseball, and he was absolutely tearing it up in baseball at the moment. He had sports writers, news analyst, pro scouts coming to watch constantly. But, one day after practice the Royals scout comes down to see Bo hit. Bo’s head coach said,”Well he ain’t hitting any balls so you could beat it”. Bo got up and said,”Coach I can hit a couple balls”. So Bo and his coach got in the cage and the first ball Bo hit broke and just destroyed the cage. The Scout said,”I’ve seen enough” and got in his car and left. Now when Bo got to Auburn he was gonna play football on scholarship and play baseball as a walk on.So Bo toured the field and facilities to check everything out.”But, as soon as Bo stepped foot on that baseball field he was already the best player” said Paul Nix Auburn’s Head Coach. Bo’s Football season definitely was a good one. He won the heisman award, got the record at Auburn for most rushing in a year. After, Bo’s football season came baseball. Bo knew he had a lot to prove and show that college athletes can play two sports. Bo’s first game was a good one as going on to hit 2-3 with an rbi. Bo went through the season just destroying the baseball and playing the defense of a lifetime. Towards the middle of the season Bo got a phone call from the Tampa Bay Bucs. They said they wanted Bo to come take a visit. Bo asked,”I don’t know if I can coach it’s against the rules.” So the Bucs lied to Bo and told him they had already talked to the NCAA and they said it was fine. So, Bo grabbed his stuff and hopped on a plane to Tampa. When Bo was there he didn’t really do anything but watch and observe everything that was happening. When Bo got back that next night he got a phone call from his head coach. He answered and said:”What’s up coach” Coach responded “Bo did you take a trip down to Tampa yesterday evening”? Bo replies “Yes I did coach, but they talked to the NCAA already and they said it was fine.” Coach says,”Well Bo the NCAA just called and said you have been banned from playing the rest of your season and there was no phone call.” Bo suddenly just felt so betrayed and lost and didn’t know what to do.

At this time the NFL draft was coming up and everyone knew Bo was gonna be picked by the Bucs. April 29,1986 Draft Day. Bo arrives at the Draft sitting there waiting and Bob Ley the announcer walks up and says,”With first pick in the NFL Draft the Bucs select Bo Jackson from Auburn University”. Bo didn’t stand up or anything. Bo got on the phone with his manager a couple minutes later and said,”I will not play for the Bucs”. So the rest of the draft goes on and then the Raiders pick comes up and Bob Ley walks up and says,”The Oakland Raiders select Bo Jackson from Auburn University”. Bo was excited to be with the Raiders then he was to do anything at that moment.

After his baseball season was over the MLB draft wasn’t far away. June 7,1986 draft day. Bo was taken by the Royals in the fourth round of the draft. And boy was he excited. The manager of the Royals said in a press conference after the draft,”We now have not only the best athlete in the world, the man who changed sports, and a hard working person on our team we have a winner and that’s what we needed.

In Bo’s football season he lead the raiders to a winning record and a wild card game. Rushing for almost 800 yards and 6 TD’s. In Bo’s first baseball season he was unstoppable. Batting almost 300, 26 home runs,and 60 rbi’s. That is just crazy for a rookie who has faced so much adversity and hate. Even professional athletes called him “The greatest athlete of all time”. And went on to be in the hall of fame for both sports, win many awards, and appear in many all star games and events.


Bo was a special man and did a lot for the game football and baseball. As no one in the history of sports can say they did what Bo did. He showed people that if you put in work and try your hardest you can be a professional athlete for as many sports as you want to do. “Never Give Up” (Bo Jackson).


The author's comments:

It's nothing but facts and Bo jackson is the greatest of all time.