The Great Depression of Music | Teen Ink

The Great Depression of Music

By OrenK PLATINUM, Flushing, New York
OrenK PLATINUM, Flushing, New York

"My teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said happy. She said I didn't understand the assignment. I said she didn't understand life."- John Lennon

Music has lost its way in my eyes. It now turns to lyrics without meaning and fake, technologically rich instruments. It turns kids to fake role models that would sellout in a minute. The record companies are okay with this because they get the money so it doesn't matter to them.
True music started to decline in the late 90's, after the band Green Day sold out, the singer and guitarist of Nirvana, Kurt Cobain died and after the death of rap legends B.I.G (a.k.a Biggie Smallz) and Tupac Shakur. Once upon a time, all you needed was a guitar, bass and drums (sometimes piano/keyboards) to play music. Now you have synthesizers that people think mesh well with the artificial voices due to modern day technology. Rock music and just plain music with soul isn't played on the radio. Rappers started sagging their pants and talking words that shouldn't even be considered sentences.
Music is in a coma. But that filling for the void still seems pretty far away. I try and hope it's close by because of some pretty decent musicians out there. Don't let the music die! Rock on and peace to all!