Top Five Fantasy Fiction Mistakes and Misconceptions | Teen Ink

Top Five Fantasy Fiction Mistakes and Misconceptions

By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

5. Knocking out enemies.

There are a lot of moments when, in an attempt to keep the hero 'kid friendly', writers will have them defeat their opponents with a good 2x4 to the head. The problem is that studies have shown that being forcibly knocked out can cause damage to the brain, leading to a series of mental and developmental issues. Your character can't walk away from getting conked on the head without a couple of after-effects.

4. Invincible, open archers.

In a huge battle, one of the best ways to take down your enemies before they got to you was to shoot them down while they were still a ways off. And the best way to make sure your archers could do this effectively was to make sure they didn't get shot back. Put up a shield wall, stick them behind a lot of people, or get them behind a real wall. Maybe all three.

(Side note for snipers: Stay hidden! If they can see you, they can kill you!)

3. Horses.

Horses were very expensive, so not everyone had them. Most farm animals had to be mult-functional, so cows or oxen were preffered for plowing, as they could be eaten as well, and sheep provided not only meat and wool, but their skin could be made into parchment ($$$). Usually only the wealthy or noble could afford horses, let alone horseshoes.

2. Filtered water.

Unless you get it directly from a spring, water is almost always contaminated in one way or another. In the medieval ages, the only safe way to drink water was to boil it and maybe run it trough a sack (assuming you could find a clean sack). Alchoholic beverages were more popular, as alchohol cleaned out the beverage anyway.

1. Female armor.

There's a ton of artwork of female warriors/huntresses online, and almost every single one of them is inaccurate and illogical. Think about it: The main function of armor is to protect the body. The main function of low collars, backs and high-cut dresses is to show off the body (shamelessly). The two do not combine well. A metal bikini is not going to stop arrows from penetrating your vital organs.

What say you?

A quick list of fantasy fiction fumbles and why they don't pass.