Is Capital Punishment A Deterrent To Violent Crimes? | Teen Ink

Is Capital Punishment A Deterrent To Violent Crimes?

August 15, 2013
By AimenChaudhry GOLD, Lahore, Other
AimenChaudhry GOLD, Lahore, Other
15 articles 1 photo 2 comments

The punishment of legally killing someone, who has committed a serious crime, is called the ''Capital Punishment''. Before starting to write on this topic, I think I should clarify that what is the other type of punishment. In contrary to the capital punishment, ''corporal punishment'' is a physical torture given to someone who has committed a little or a pardonable crime.

When someone commits a serious crime and is told that the police is searching for him, he'll surely to try to save his life. This way, the capital punishment is a cause of violent crime as trying to save his life he'll commit many more crimes, For instance, he might kill the people who registered FIR against him or blackmail the victim's relatives (urging them to close the case, perhaps). Kidnapping and trespassing are very common in such situations.
Mr. J.R.R. Tolkien writes, ''Many that live deserve death. And many that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then, don not be too eager to deal out death in judgement''. According to a study conducted by the researchers from the University of Florida, about 90 percent of the nation's leading criminologists said that using the capital punishment is an extreme waste of time and as well as money. Implementing the death penalty is also more costly than keeping a criminal in prison for life! The money that can be saved by abolishing the death penalty can be contributed to investigate resources to apprehend and convict more criminals.

On the other hand, those who are in the favor of the ''capital punishment'' say that extreme measures of punishment such as death penalty ultimately deter potential murderers from killing innocent citizens within society. Death penalty serves as a basic reminder to the public that crime does not get rewarded. It, therefore, sends a message to the public that if you kill innocent people, that the price you will be forced to pay will undoubtedly be quite high. The capital punishment is a humane punishment according to the law in many states. The death cuts criminal from all ties that lead to the future possibility which ultimately takes away all hope for the criminal involved. Judge Robert E. Crowe said, ''It is the finality of the death penalty which instills fear into the heart of every murderer, and it is this fear of punishment which protects society''.

Everybody has a different opinion so, declaring that the capital punishment is deterrent to violent crime, is not possible. However, in my personal opinion the capital punishment can prove to be a shut-up call to violent crimes, in many cases.