One nation under God | Teen Ink

One nation under God

May 2, 2010
By brie13 GOLD, Sparks, Nevada
brie13 GOLD, Sparks, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is the meaning of life? -- To live ( Mr.Swigart- Bio Teacher)


If we are truly one nation under God why must i say happy holidays instead of Merry Christms? Why is our president claiming we are a muslim country instead of a christian one like our fore fathers had said? If we are one nation under God then why do people insist on the seperation of religion and state? If we are one nation under God then when are people being put under trial for praying in football teams, schools, and on stage? Why is the name of the Lord we are under trying to be erased from our pledge of alligience that claims where our country stands? If we are one nation under God then why are students punished by teachers for bringing their bible to school some days? If we are one nation under God then why are we trying to exclude him from everything? I'm not saying we all should be christian or be forced to follow Jesus, but why is there restrictions on sharing my faith in a nation where we are supposedly one nation under God? Do I really have a choice of religion when I am punished for speaking about my faith in one nation under God?


The author's comments:
THe goverment seems to be pushing God more and more out of things and on the news I hear stories of people being put on trial for expressing their faith. These are my emotions as i hear these things.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 40 comments.


on Apr. 22 2015 at 2:00 pm
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
32 articles 9 photos 525 comments

Favorite Quote:
[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

I would recommend going over this and fixing the logical fallacies in it. It's written from an extraordinarily biased perspective currently, but you could probably still make your point without some of the things you said.

hamna said...
on Jan. 22 2015 at 10:19 am
Be a Muslim then you will know who is God first of all

on Oct. 20 2014 at 7:52 pm
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

oh my goddd can we not. First of all, about 65% of what you stated is just factually incorrect, Christians are without a doubt the most privileged religious group in the entire western world. Secondly, one nation under 'God'? Since when?    

joanna said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 2:32 pm
people have difernt opinions when it come to religion

on Dec. 30 2011 at 7:50 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

1Corinthaians12:4_8 Do you get all your opinions from the dinner table? See, I don't think you know how government works. If Obama were a dictator, that means that all the laws that have been passed through him during his term completely skipped the Senate and the House and all those other government people who had to vote on it to get it enacted. Are you seriously suggesting that such a huge process was overlooked and no one noticed? I feel like I'm talking to children who are reading the same bed time rhymes over and over again.

on Dec. 30 2011 at 7:40 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

First of all, we are not one nation under god, at least, we were not founded that way. Funny thing is that it was added to the pledge during the Cold War because we were afraid of Communism and wanted to separate us from them. 1. You don't have to say Happy Holidays. Say Merry Christmas if you want, but it would be arrogant to say Merry Christmas to a Jew or a Buddhist or an atheist if you knew that they didn't celebrate Christmas. But if you don't know, then a short explanation will clear things up. Happy Holidays is just more general for that time that holidays of different people are celebrated. 2. Which president claimed we're Muslim?.. what news did you hear? 3. Our Founding fathers never said we were a Christian nation, because they were Deists, which means they base their philosophy on observations of the natural world. 4. It wouldn't be silly not to have a separation of church and state because that would mean the teachers could teach religion in schools, as school is a government organization. And that would cause chaos. 5. I have never heard of people being put on trial for praying... where are you getting your information? 6. There are people in America who don't think we stand under the Lord. That's just how it is. 7. I have never heard of a student getting punished for bringing a bible to school. If they were, then that teacher is violating their freedom of religion.

Genya GOLD said...
on Dec. 8 2011 at 5:44 pm
Genya GOLD, Bridgewater, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics."-Unknown Author

Those aren't gods, those are ideas. Your god is real to you, not an idea floating around right? so it wouldn't be the same for all of us.

I looked up the defintion of all of them, and if what you imply is that most Christians don't follow these ideas or don't respect them, then I fear for our way of life, and the tolerance level of this country.


on Dec. 8 2011 at 4:23 pm
Look_to_the_stars BRONZE, Kentwood, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments
Well, were not one nation under God. Were one nation but America accepts all religions and saying that we are one nation under god is sort of ignorant to those who believe in budhha and nirvana or wicca or paganism or aethism. Its not fair to subdude other relgions like that.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Sep. 30 2011 at 4:50 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Because we are tolerant of other religions, and we're not a theocracy. Two core American values that you seem to forget, swept up as you are in protesting not being able to force your religion upon other people.

on Aug. 7 2011 at 2:10 pm
brie13, thank you and amen!

brie13 GOLD said...
on Jul. 30 2011 at 7:21 pm
brie13 GOLD, Sparks, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is the meaning of life? -- To live ( Mr.Swigart- Bio Teacher)

@Travis. Wow you made an amazing point about athiesm there. And andromeda i understand you don't like being preached at but a part of the christian faith is to tell others about God. Maybe that will help you understand better why it is we do so. We as christians are truly not trying to be annoying or offensive in any way what so ever, we are actually trying to do the exact oppisite by sharing God's love like he tells us to do in the Bible.

 


on Jul. 29 2011 at 2:17 pm
If you don't mind me asking, why are you "offended" if someone tries to conver you? I find your comment to be interesting. You, as an atheist, I didn't expect something like that to be said. My study on atheism is a revelation upon humanity. You say there is no God, but the thing is that you worship 14 gods: humanism, secularism, naturalism, scientism, positivism, materialism, intellectualism, existentialism, relativism, pragmatism, socialism, statism, pluralism, and hedonism. Research everyone, it does tie to atheism. It is really interesting.   

on Jul. 29 2011 at 8:32 am
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
8 articles 0 photos 174 comments
im an athiest but i think it is great that your pastor is doing that. i think it is important for people to express there religion. it oly bothers me when people try to "convert" me. that too me is offensive. just like someone bringing a bible to school and preaching too me, sure bring the bible just keep it too yourself

on Jun. 15 2011 at 1:12 am
DesertFox94 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 33 comments

The phrase, "One Nation Under God" was not in the original pledge. 

You can say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, that is a personal choice. You are not going to burn at the stake saying otherwise. 

President Obama has been going to the same Christian Church for about 20 years now. I'm sure he wouldn't call America a "Muslim Country".

People insist on the Seperation of Church and State because that is what the Founding Fathers wanted the country to be based off of. 

I've never heard of someone going on trial for praying at a football game. Could you link me to a source?

Some want the phrase, "Under God" out of the pledge because not everybody believes in God or in the same God as others do.

True that there have been cases students were punished for bring the Bible to school, but those stories are few and far in between. I'm sure just as many Muslims and even non-religious people have been punished for their beliefs as Christians have. 

We try to exclude God from things because the topic of Religion is very tricky. We do this so conflict does not arise. Also, not everybody believes in God or in the same God as the majority. The minority should recieve representation and not be trampled over by the majority. 

Under the 1st admendment, there are no restrictions on any religious persons attempting to share their religion. 

Again, the 1st admendment protects individuals expressing their beliefs. There may be some instances where you are pressed about your beliefs, but it is constituitionally allowed for others to criticize it. But it is not allowed for one to be punished by it. That is unconstitutional.  

 


on May. 3 2011 at 4:40 pm
You have a point there. I'm glad you spoke out for your fellow kind. I've brought my Bib.le to school at times and I never got into trouble. Actually, my pastor is fighting that my high school has a Bib.le class. I find that good. Good article!

MadMouse GOLD said...
on Apr. 10 2011 at 4:11 pm
MadMouse GOLD, Springfield, Missouri
15 articles 11 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
'The only things worth doing on the weekend are completely pointless and wastes of time."

I like this...also, our country is supposed to have freedom of religion...ironic, right? Freedom of religion..oh, except you, and you, and you...

deathward22 said...
on Jan. 1 2011 at 1:57 am
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

sorry spell check sucks

deathward22 said...
on Jan. 1 2011 at 1:57 am
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

wouldn't it tectonically be wiccan and pagan because wiccan stems from pagan. just asking

Dance.Dance said...
on Nov. 25 2010 at 12:12 pm
Dance.Dance, Stansbury Park, Utah
0 articles 1 photo 7 comments
Good Point :)  They should be able to do whatever prayer, ceremony ect. But they shouldnt be forced to participate.  I just wish religion and politics and people could just get along...

KellyR GOLD said...
on Nov. 21 2010 at 6:55 pm
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

I agree with most of what you said but about the thing you said about the prayer before a football game I disagree with. If there was a prayer before a football game than that would be for the religions that pray. correct? What if there was a wiccan on the football team and they wanted to do some sort of ceromoney or something? Now think of all the religions out there and if they wanted to do something different. You can't just let one religion do what they want and not another, and to do a million religious things at a school event is just silly.