Down a Dark Hall by Lois Duncan | Teen Ink

Down a Dark Hall by Lois Duncan

January 25, 2019
By Toualee GOLD, Sacramento, California
Toualee GOLD, Sacramento, California
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If I don't have to do it, I won't do it. If I have to do it, make it quick."-Oreki Houtarou


 “At the other end of the hall, you’ll get lost in the darkness.” A private all girls school, that’s far from town, a building that’s hundreds of years old and has a sense of evil. Kit Gordy is a teenage girl that was transferred to Blackwood just for getting out of her parents way. Her parents are going to a vacation while she stays in a place that she feels uneasy and knows that there’s evil in that place.


 There was only only four students at Blackwood, including Kit. In Blackwood, evil waits for KIt and the other students. They were Sandy, Ruth, and Lynda. As evil enters them, they wouldn’t even know. Kit would wake up in the middle of the night, while unconscious to play the piano in the music room like a music artist while being recorded by the music teacher, Jules. Sandy has a connection with a foreign woman that writes poem since she got to Blackwood. Lynda, who can paint since she got the the school but she just keeps painting and painting non stop. When she’s done painting she would leave an initial that says T.C. even though it’s not her initials. Ruth had an ability to know who she was in her previous life.


   My favorite part of the story was when Kit was sleeping in her cold dark room then she heard Sandy screaming. It describes her surroundings and all of the darkness of supernatural that was happening. KIt had to open Sandy’s door but it was locked. Sandy was screaming like she seen something unreal. It felt really interesting at this point of the story.


 Lois Duncan wrote her books in ways that expresses her imagination on the characters, plot, setting, and basically things in general. She died when she was 82 years old and her legacy of her books lives on. She won many awards such was an award from Mystery Writers of America. Most of her books were chosen for young adults and her novels had won her high acclaim.


I’d recommend this book to those who are interested in the thriller genre. As things gets  complicated in the story the main character still fights on. At first I thought that there’s going to be something that’ll happen straight away at the beginning but no, it was a good start of how everything was slow pace. Throughout the story the characters are really interesting, they all got their own griefs and worries. Every part of the story will just make u wonder in curiosity.


                                                                                                                             Toua Lee


The author's comments:

This book is ravalent to today's world and the work of Lois Duncan will live on.