We Are Okay by Nina Lacour | Teen Ink

We Are Okay by Nina Lacour

By Cucoolchameleon GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio
Cucoolchameleon GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio

"There is no greater agony than an untold story within you" - Maya Angelou

I loved Nina Lacour’s We Are Okay for so many reasons too abstract to put into words. But I’ll at least try. Often, when I pick up a book and look at the cover, I have no idea what kind of story I’m getting into until I read the description on the back. But occasionally I’ll come across a novel that’s different, one that emanates a certain feeling towards me or exhibits a moral simply from its front display, as if saying, ‘pick me, I’m special!’ Yes, I know that sounds strange, but sure enough, that little voice called out to me when I came across this book. And I wasn’t disappointed. This book profoundly unleashed waves of emotion in me, and reminded me of the stunning power of relationships and connections in the midst of overcoming adversity and grief. 

This is told from the perspective of the young, becoming woman, Marin, who is struggling to find her place in the world after leaving behind her hometown in an attempt to escape the tragedies of her past. I loved experiencing the passion Lacour poured into Marin’s story, the subtle conflicts and mysteries that Marin must conquer in order to move on from questions of the past. LaCour does a good job reaching readers through character development, heartbreak and redemption without having to create a traceable plot line. It doesn’t take the form of a beginning to resolution adventure, but rather involves us in Marin’s recovery as she slowly allows her best friend from her old life back in, accepts her support, and gradually reclaims a tentative hope for the future. 

We Are Okay was a tender, beautiful piece of writing that dug deep into my conscience and really made me think about the things I value most in life. Marin’s story stayed with me long past the last page and opened my eyes to morals I hadn’t found myself considering as often as I now think necessary. A truly moving novel. 

We Are Okay was a book that moved me, and I felt it was important to write a reveiw so that it can reach even more teens out there like me. 

LKQgirl GOLD said...
LKQgirl GOLD, Somonauk, Illinois

MUH HAH HAH HAH!

This is a great review. Want to look up that book also.