The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

By stephie95 PLATINUM, Tripoli, Other
stephie95 PLATINUM, Tripoli, Other

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a breathtakingly unconventional novel, made up of a series of letters written by a young teenage boy called Charlie, which he sends to an anonymous friend. Our protagonist, Charlie, suffers from depression and sexual abuse at a young age and is not the most cheerful of people. After his best friend commits suicide, he finds himself involved in a small but empathetic group (Sam and Patrick) that supports his passion for music, poetry, and song writing. The novel discusses issues of drugs, alcohol, sexuality, family problems, and friendship in a universal approach, thus making the book relatable for everyone and anyone.
I looked forward to watching the movie after knowing that it took Stephen Chbosky – The author of the book and director of the movie - nearly a decade to transform it into a motion picture. Though many offered to buy the book, Chbosky declined, instead opting to direct it himself. So after signing with Emma Watson for the role of Samantha and Logan Lerman as Charlie, he began the arduous journey of transforming words on paper into film. Most people believe that books usually tend to be better than the movie; in this case the movie was as good as the book. I have to admit that the Charlie I saw on screen was an exact replica of the one I had imagined while reading, and not only Charlie, but most of the other characters as well.
The perks of being a wallflower tells you that you are not alone, that you belong somewhere, that no matter how different or odd you may think you are, you can still be a part of something wonderful. Whether you are reading the book or watching the movie, you will find yourself in one or more of these characters. Just like Charlie said, “Sometimes, I read a book, and I think I’m the people in the book.” In The Perks of Being a Wallflower, everyone finds a place to belong.
If you plan on reading a book or watching a movie anytime soon, I highly recommend The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It will not only entertain you, but it will enlighten you about the different aspects of life. I adore this book for its relatable honesty and ability to inspire, and I am positive that once you read it, you will love it too.

this isn't like any book review, its basically a movie and book review at the same time...something different and new hope you like it plz rate and comment :)

Realjay41 DIAMOND, Culpeper , Virginia
Do you think I should see this movie? I'm a big fan of Logan Lerman.