Mr. Christian | Teen Ink

Mr. Christian

Mr. Christian, my Metal Fabrication teacher at Arrowhead Union High School is an amazing and thoughtful teacher to not only me but all of his students. Junior year I took Metal Fabrication 1 just for fun but as I progressed in the class I came to enjoy it. He encouraged me to do my best and to keep trying even when things were challenging. That is why I decided to take Metal Fabrication 2 the following year. He is also my teacher for the Machining and was my Wood Production class teacher last year. 

Every day in my Metal Fab class I am welding whether it be a project or just a simple joint. Right now I am working on my outside corner joints for TIG welding which I just recently got a check plus on (That’s an A). I was stuck for a while almost at a check plus but not quite there. Mr. Christian knew I almost had it too.

“You have the form down, just tighten up the weave,” he said encouragingly. 

I knew what I had to do and how to get there – he gave me the confidence to try again. 

The next class I sat in my booth weld torch in hand moving back and forth to create the perfect outside corner weld. It took a few welds but by the end of class, I knew I had a winner. 

I grabbed the hot metal plate with my gloved hand and carried it to Mr. Christian to show him my weld. He critically looked at it moving his head and eyeing the weld carefully. After what seemed like forever he looked at me and said, “Great job, Meghan. This is a check plus weld.” 

“Thank you,” I said happily because I was able to complete the weld I was struggling with.

I have had Mr. Christian for the last two years of my high school career and he has stood out not just because the class is unique but because of how great of a teacher he is. 

Mr. C's support has made challenging projects easier and his classroom environment is great. When I am stuck in brain-draining classes I can’t wait to go to Mr. C’s class. It is a time when I can just go out into the shop and work without having to think about getting perfect grades, worrying about studying for tests or working myself to death just to finish a project on time.