A Tough Lesson | Teen Ink

A Tough Lesson MAG

It was the end of my junior year, the weekend before prom. I was riding around that night with some friends, and a bottle got passed around the car. Everyone was taking swigs. Then the bottle got to me. With it in my hand I thought, What will I do? I took a swig. That was the biggest mistake of my life – I had to drive home later that night.

We arrived at my friends’ house and watched a movie. About an hour later I asked them to bring me back to my car. Not thinking, I got in and drove off.

At a stop sign I realized a cop was sitting in the parking lot across the street. When I saw his headlights turn on, I knew he was going to follow me until I got home. About a mile from my house, the cop turned his light bar on. All I could think was, Oh no, that swig!

I pulled over and waited for him to come to my door. It felt like forever. “Can I see your license and registration, please, Miss?” He took them and went back to his car for a while. When he returned, he asked if I had been drinking.

“Yes sir,” I said. He asked me to step out of my car.

“Walk heel to toe down the white line, please.” I passed the test. Next he had me stand on my left foot and lift my right foot six inches off the ground, and hold it for thirty seconds. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not the most coordinated person. I can’t even walk and chew gum at the same time. So, needless to say, I didn’t do the best on that test. Then he had me look right while he shined a bright light in my eyes. I passed that one too. He then asked me to take a breathalyzer test.

That’s where I messed up. I told him I didn’t want to and didn’t understand why I had to. The officer asked me three more times, and I continued to refuse.

He told me to turn around and place my hands behind my back. I thought that he was going to pat me down, but I was wrong. All of a sudden I felt cold metal on my wrists. He arrested me right then and there. As I was sitting in the back seat of his car, all I could think was, God, I’m in so much trouble … my parents are going to kill me.

The cop drove me to a town twenty minutes from my home. Being arrested was so scary. The officers brought me into a little concrete room and asked me a bunch of questions. Then they called my parents and told them where I was and to come get me or they would take me to a children’s home until my court date. When my dad got there, I ran and gave him the biggest hug ever, and he whispered into my ear, “I love you so much. Everything will be okay. Let’s go home.”

If I had only known what would happen. The next week I got an attorney, and I went to court two months after that. I was charged with a refusal. I got $700 in fines, forty hours of community service, and had to attend a MADD meeting. I’ll be on probation for a year, and I have to take driver’s ed again. And I lost my license for a whole year!

This has been a huge learning experience for me. It opened my eyes to how easy it is to make a stupid decision. I want everyone reading this to know that it’s not right to drink and drive, and it definitely isn’t worth losing your license over.

Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

Oh, but it was written really well. Good job!

I'm so sorry that this happened to you, but if it was only one swig, after an hour you would be sober again. I just recently took a drug and alcohol class and was taught this.

megstar96 said...
megstar96, Stickney, Illinois
i mean how it is said

megstar96 said...
megstar96, Stickney, Illinois
its a good topic but i dont really like hoe its siad (not trying to be mean)

Chris_B said...
I hope you learned from this lesson. Many kids our age don't think that drinking and driving does anything. I'm happy you were stopped before you, or anyone else got hurt, but I would've rather you not lost your license. :/ I'm sorry to hear about that.. You'll get it back soon though. We all fall, but the strong get back up. =]

mikky said...
ohmigod i knew not to drink and drive but ugh that sucks that u cant drive for a full yr!!! ur right that is not wrorth lossing ur licence for... i luv this piece!

on Jun. 12 2009 at 1:02 am
Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
All I can say is THANK YOU! for writing that story!

millz SILVER said...
millz SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
WOW i hope you get your license back soon. I am SOOO never gonna drink! Great artical

packer dolezal BRONZE, Ely, Nevada
thats preety interesting

dkcoel2 said...
OH!

Zakisawsome BRONZE, Johnstown, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
such an amazing article and so dramatic i loved that peace of work.

omg =( this was an awesome story, well, to read. I am so sorry to hear =/ how did the cop know you were drinking though? =/ i hope you're back on the road soon =[

MaddieKate78 said...
wow. That sounds aweful! I already knew to not drink and drive but this story really opened my already widened eyes! -Madalyn Kate-