Home Alone | TeenInk

Home Alone MAG

By Ashlyn Zacarelli, Clinton, CT

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

CacophonousWordSalad BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
This was actually really creepy! I hate staying home alone and after reading this, I probably won't again for a long time.

Fatima_Arif BRONZE, Houston, Texas
very clear image .....gave me chills....

WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other

"What I am looking for is not out there, it's in me." ~ Hellen Keller

Words were nicely put! Keep it up!

KyraSapphire said...
KyraSapphire, Fort Worth, Texas
Once, I heard a lot of creaking noises upstairs that I thought were footsteps. I called my mom, and she told me to get out of the house. I ran outside and went to my friend Ashliee's house. Turns out that it was my cat, Red...

Batman53 said...
Batman53,
lol this is sad

mmcn1 SILVER said...
mmcn1 SILVER, Audubon, New Jersey

"You can't be sad when you're laughing, so just laugh," -Mia Nixon

Wow, that gave me the chills!

mattyaoneill SILVER, New York City, New York

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Benjamin Franklin

You did a amazing job on this personal experience! Keep up the great work! I really enjoyed reading this! Thanks! And Keep It Up!

GirlGenius SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey

The question for today is* : If you could solve any world crisis right now, what would it be?
(*-GirlGenius's favorite quote)

Ha ha! You made my side hurt. I loved how the tension fused up and how I got into it. Great writing!   (Check out my writing sometime...)

Romero said...
That's some scary stuff!!! I will never stay home if that happened to me

Ez3521 said...
Ez3521, Berwyn, Illinois
To think that people can try to get into your head by doing those types of things.

mikey123 said...
you are really rude

Teacher Jean said...
I am a Freshman English teacher, and I'm going to share your story with my class as a strong example of narrative writing. Good work!

Grace Williams SILVER, Saint Charles, Illinois
Such an amazingly detailed piece. Please keep writing!

hippo said...
Way to use common sense.....NOT

keio said...
this is very scary story. i dont want to image like this situation and it would  be occurred at my house. Recently i sometimes stay in my house alone but with my dog, so i keep the doors locked. however actually, my house is apartment and no one can enter the building's entrance except the residents or the stuff. 

keio said...
This story made me read the story really fast because I wanted to know what was gonig to happen at the end. I have experienced something similar to you before. While I was by myself at home at night when my parents were away, I was watching TV. The doorbell rang and I looked to see who was outhside throught the screen. There was a man standing outhside and he was wearing a hat, so I couldn't see who it was. I ignored the person, but he was ringing the bell many times. I became worried. When I told my parents about the terrifying experience they told me that the man must have been the refrigerator fixer who my parents asked to come that day. I really understand how you felt that time when you were alonat you house.

crazyzm BRONZE said...
crazyzm BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina

"I hated every moment of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"
-Muhammad Ali

Enticing story.... but why didn't you lock all those doors before you hid?

rheame said...
rheame, Anand, Other

turn a mess into a lesson

a test into testimony

a trial into triumph
and a victim into champion

wow ........ superb experience!!!!! the article was pretty gripping.................

pinkplants PLATINUM, Brandon, Mississippi

“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

I stay home alone so much, so I know that feeling of anxiety. You did an amazing job of the writing in this, you  gave me goosebumps! Good job.

Kevinator BRONZE, Johannesburg, Other

Im nothing but a rider

lol dude,but its stil the best plan though