Home Alone | TeenInk

Home Alone MAG

By Ashlyn Zacarelli, Clinton, CT

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

Laura_Oliver GOLD, Manchester, Connecticut
And so, kids, what have we learned today....? (^_^)

LadyMinstrelsBallad BRONZE, Atascadero, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"What the eye doesn't see, the heart won't grieve over."

WOW! That last phone call was FREAKY! I'm not sure why you'd be more curious than scared after that; I'd be horrified! XD
Great job with this. Everyone can really connect with it because everyone's had a scary evening like that. :) Keep up the good work!

aspiringwriterAD SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Can you guys please tell me how to get more people to read your article in rate it? I'm new here. Thanks :) 

sweetiepye16 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

It only goes up from here.

My parents leave ver early in the moring to take my mom to work. It's the worst hour of my live. Very good descriptions, I like it.

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

thats crazy! I'm glad that shes okay, and thats a smart idea having a dead bolt that you cannot open!

if that had happened I would have called the police. honestly. I like it, great descriptions! keep writing! (:

LifeWrite PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
Woah--if that happened to me I would be FREAKED OUT, man! Great piece! :)

Priya5 BRONZE said...
Priya5 BRONZE, Bhuj, Other

ummmm....... Me , Myself & I....... :p

that's a really good piece...... you've got quite a livid imagination..... :)

CupcakeSaffy PLATINUM, Cochrane, Other

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Are you sure this is non-fiction? Even if it isn't, your parents probably should have told you all the precautions: don't let anyone know you're alone ("They're in the bath" always works), locks all doors and windows, don't answer the phone to an unrecognized number, call your parents and the police for the slightest thing just to make sure, etc.

KristinHopkins8 SILVER, Aspen, Colorado

"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die"

i really like this piece. you should make a book about what happens next or even before in the story. maybe make it more suspenseful and end like a horror story? just a suggestion, but very well done on this piece!

orangeapple said...
Well this is a lovely story to read when my parents left me at home...

on Jun. 11 2011 at 3:04 am
PennyM.L SILVER, Lynwood, California
OH MY GOOD THAT IS Effing scary!! i'm like, freaking out! D:

kitkat95 SILVER, Lake Worth, Florida

reading give me tha absolute chiil

you are a strong girl i would of run away screaming it it happen to me  <3

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

Oh god that happened!!! Most likely I wouldn't of picked up the phone.  but if I did I would've called my parents then 911 after the car showed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :()

Bka341997 GOLD said...
Bka341997 GOLD, Bigfork, Montana

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take our breath away!

WOW  creepy...really happend? I cant even amagin what i would do...u dont have caller id?

Gracie55 said...
WOW!!!!!!!.....AND THAT WAS REALL!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!!

Stanley are on this during school????

ninjadragon56 SILVER, Denver, Colorado

Private favorite personal quote, do not read, all violaters will be prosicuted.

thts freaky! Wow, i wonder who that was. it sounds like the beginning to a novel or something, not like something that would actualy happen. your description is really good and i could really feel what was going on. i like it!   

alalalalalal wiow creepy story thats happend to me once befor too!

gradfgd said...
that sounds pretty creepy. Its weird being home alone when the house starts creaking but, no one hasever pulled into the driveway when I was home alone. It was probably one of your friends unless you tell everyone that your going to be home alone. One day a friend pulled into my driveway but i knew that he was comming.