Instructions for Chebadla Tag | Teen Ink

Instructions for Chebadla Tag

January 4, 2015
By MWahl BRONZE, Aiea, Hawaii
MWahl BRONZE, Aiea, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

First of all, you have to take your dog somewhere you both can run freely. The preferable location for this activity is a park, or a grassy field. The most important aspect of the location that you pick is that there is nothing that could potentially harm you, or your dog as you run about.
Situate yourselves at one end of the field, and give your dog the command to sit. Position your dog so that he is sitting directly in front of you. As for yourself, make sure that you are standing about two feet away from your dog. This will give you just enough distance to avoid getting "tagged" by your dog to early into the game. Also make sure that your mind is in a positive space, and you are ready to have fun. If you are having a bad day this game is the perfect pick-me-up, so just try to put yourself in a happy state of mind while you are playing (by the end you should have a big smile on your face).
This is where the instructions to the actual game come into play. Chebadla (Chebadla: Origin, the mind of Mikaila's younger brother Justus. A completely made up word that became one of the various nicknames for the family dog Skylar. Thought to be created when she was scolded for being mischievous, hence the word "bad" in chebadla) tag is basically a modified version of human tag designed for blind dogs. To start the game you hold your hand out about 5 inches over the top of your dog's head, and then repeat the words, "On your maaaarks. Get seeeeet. GO!" As you are saying the word "GO", quickly tap the crest of your dogs head, and then run towards the other side of the field as fast a you can. The object of the game, much like regular tag, is to try to avoid any part of your body being touched by your dog.
While you are running your dog will be trying to chase you down, but unlike you, your dog cannot see. This means that they will probably have their head low to the ground because they are trying to find you partly through scent, and partly through sound. If you want to aid your dog in finding you it is helpful to occasionally shout or whistle to make them aware of your location. Sometimes it is even fun to just stop running, and let them find you solely through scent. Whatever variation of the game you decide to try, it officially ends when your dog "tags" you by brushing up against you (hopefully not by slamming in to you, but it is a possibility).
After your dog tags you I suggest that you sit down, and drag your dog into your lap. You may both be breathing heavily, but you will feel joy surge up within you when you see the ecstatic look on your dogs face. It will become evident that they don't care if you play the game according to the rules. In fact, they probably don't even know that there are rules to the game! The main thing that is important to them is that you are willing to spend time with them, and give them the affection they crave.
Congratulations! You now have the basic instructions on how to play Chebadla Tag. The game may seem pretty simple, but it takes patience, and repetition before your dog will also know how to play. Nevertheless, the more times you play this game with your dog, the more familiar they become with what they are suppose to do. Eventually, once you even begin to mutter the words "On your maaaaarks", your dog's body will physically tense up with joyful anticipation, and their eyes will glisten with an almost manic glee. I have been playing this game with my dog since she was just a puppy, and over the years it has become a ritual for us every time we walk down to the park. I say the magic words, tap her head, and then we both explode in a blur of speed. I try to avoid getting taken out from her running into me, but she always tries to catch me no matter the cost (even if it means we both end up splayed out on the ground).
As time goes on you will realize this game becomes more than a game, it becomes a way to connect with your dog in a manner that wasn't possible before. The most common game that dogs seem to play when they go somewhere like a park is fetch, but it almost impossible to play fetch when your dog is blind. I know that for my dog Skylar who has never had the opportunity to do things the way a normal dog does, the game seems almost life changing for her. It gives her the opportunity to not worry about bashing into something, and instead allows her to just let loose and have fun. As for myself, it gives me a way to bond with my dog, and keep her active at the same time. Every time we play the game I can feel the connection strengthening between my dog and I. This bond that the game creates is really what's most important to me about playing. I love the feeling of being so close to my dog, and knowing that I can do something that's fun for both of us. Once you play, you will also be able to experience that same connection with your dog in your own unique way.
I guess that what I am trying to say about the game does not make much sense, until you actually go out, and do it yourself. I strongly suggest that if you have a blind dog, or even a regular dog, the next time you go to the park try to play Chebadla Tag. It will be a nice change of pace from traditional dog games, and most importantly you will get the chance to feel the incredible bond it creates between you and your pet!


The author's comments:

This writing was inspired by an english project where we had to write instructions to something important to us. I chose chebadla tag, which is a game I created with my dog.