Losing You | Teen Ink

Losing You

By sara-a-bear GOLD, Brandon, Mississippi
sara-a-bear GOLD, Brandon, Mississippi

"I can tell by the way you're laughing, you're trouble looking for a place to happen."
- Chris Young

Yeah. I could give up right now. I could let you win. I could let you see the pain you put me through. But I don’t. Do you think that saying I’m a hoe really affects me? Do you honestly believe that you hurt me? Because you do. You hate me. And you know what? I really don’t care if you hate me. My self-worth does not come from your validation. If you have a problem with me, you can leave. I do not deserve the negativity and bad vibes you offer me. I’m sorry, but I can not accept what you’re giving me.

Hatred, denial, and jealousy is what you are made of. You thrive when people are in pain. You are a parasite, feeding on people’s misery. And you know what? I’m all out of misery! So you can get a reality check, and leave me alone, because you don’t deserve me. Not to sound conceited, only realistic, I am better than you. I am more than you, because you treat me as if I’m worthless.

No matter what you say, no matter what you do, you’re never going to live down your reputation of making me feel like I don’t want to live anymore. I’m sick and tired of your mind games and conceitedness and pretension and pride and pomposity. I am not inferior. You are not superior.

So here I am. Losing a friend, losing who I thought was a great person. But after your sabotage, betrayal, and treachery, I’m done. I may lose you, but I have who I want. I have what I need. And what I need is not you. I am done with you. We. Are. Over.

The past school year has been full of ups and downs - especially when it comes to love and relationships. I made two friends - who are cousins. One of them has stood by me through all that I've been through. The other? As soon as I fell truly in love with someone, my "friend" began to start drama surrounding my love interests. She made me feel worthless, and this poem is about how I have overcome her negativity. I hope whoever reads this can realize something that they don't want to let go, but they know they have to.