Social Media is Ruining Us | Teen Ink

Social Media is Ruining Us

November 22, 2019
By Colechuff BRONZE, Hemet, California
Colechuff BRONZE, Hemet, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has social media. What’s the harm in it? Based on what I have seen, social media is addictive, and it’s not good for us. People are mislead to believe that it is a platform to “connect with friends.” What ever happened to connecting with friends in real life? 

Technology is hypnotizing us into thinking that it’s necessary to have. Our day and age lives on technology. Social media is the base of technology. I decided to check some of my friends average screen time and what they spend their time doing. On an average of about six hours a day, they were spending about 90% of their screen time on social media. This is not only staggering but it is also unhealthy. 

Everywhere you look people are staring down at their phones.Whether this be at lunch, In class, or even just walking around campus, most of them are looking at social media. What is so appealing about social media? People enjoy getting likes, comments, followers, and messages from other people. These sorts of things release endorphins. endorphins are kind of like happy hormones. Endorphins are good and we like to release them. But they only make social media more addictive.

Due to all the time that we spend on social media, we tend to procrastinate. I know personally that I procrastinate a lot. This is due to social media. Recently I’ve been trying to cut down my time on social media, and I’ve noticed that I tend to get a lot more done. Social media is stopping us from getting the things done that we need to. 

I’ve noticed more positive things from less time on social media. I’ve been more productive, I’ve been happier, I’ve been less stressed, and overall I’ve just felt free. We spend too much time with our faces buried in phones. If people just look up for once and see the opportunities that they’re missing out on, maybe social media wouldn’t be such an addiction. Try to cut down your social media time as well, and you might see some changes for the better too. 


The author's comments:

The negative effects of social media and my thoughts on it.