Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

bookworm1 GOLD said...
bookworm1 GOLD, Ticonderoga, New York

Laugh your heart out. Dance in the rain. Cherish the morning. Ignore the pain. Live, Laugh, Love. Forgive and Forget. Life's too short to be living with regrets.
Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. Amelia Earhart

I do believe in teenage love.  Completely.

drhorriblylate BRONZE, Stanwood, Washington
I don't think that you can truly fall in love until you are emotionally mature, some people reach this stage during their teenage years and some don't. I don't want to ridicule people for being immature, I just think that real love takes the kind of commitment and understanding that only comes with a certain maturity. I am a teenager and I am deeply in love and I also have friends who are in love. Of course I also know people who have relationships that fall apart because they haven't reached the point where they can really understand what a balanced and healthy relationship means. There is no magic age where love suddenly becomes possible, it all depends on the people.

HopelessRomantic1 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"Love is like the wind, I can't see it, but I can feel it". -- Nicholas Sparks from "A Walk to Remember"

i totally agree with you.  Even though it can seem strange, even to the teenagers who are in love, it just happens, no one can explain why, and no one should have to. 

Photographywonder PLATINUM, Unfortunetly, Texas

"You can't wait for inspiration to come to you, you have to go at it with a club"
"Can anything be sadder than work unfinished? Yes; work never begun"
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.Art is knowing which ones to keep"-Scott Adams

Yes! I very much so believe that there can be teenage love! I don't think you can put an age on it or know when like turns to love, but i do know it exists because I know people who've been there.

RideTheWave BRONZE, South Riding, Virginia
that's great! it will work out as long as you are happy! dont let anybody change your opinion on that. you are the controller of your own future and you are the only one who can control that. it is up to you

HeEzZY101 said...
love shouldnt have an age limit! its only a letter

Jing.a.ling BRONZE, Saluda, South Carolina

"Without suffering there'd be not compassion!-Nickolas Sparks

I have to say  yes I believe that when two teens are together they can fall in love thats how love begins...when your young you say i love you to millions of  things but there is only one person in your life youll actually mean it to and that person is your soul mate but first you will meet this person in your teens!!! Not one adult will agree unless they've actually been through it as a teen!!!:)

i completely agree with you my boyfrind and i have been together seince we were 11 and im 16 but everyone just keeps saying its not going to last. but the thing is we have never broke up. so i think that its completely true about what your saying.

Love16 GOLD said...
Love16 GOLD, Roanoke, Virginia

Psalm 23.

I believe that it can exist at any age. I found this quote saying that “love is a butterfly that you have to let go. If it flies back to you, then it was meant to be. If it flies away, then it wasn’t meant to be.” Now, I have been with my girlfriend since we were both ten. This Friday is our six year anniversary. We have broken up several times over the years but we have always come back together, with our hearts full of love and compassion for one another. Now please, try to convince me that one cannot find their true love at a young age.

lovetowrite22 SILVER, ..., Colorado

"Everything happens for a reason."

I think that love is possible among teenagers, and that it grows over time; however, I think that it's somewhat rare, because love is a mature concept.

XXXXXXXX said...
XXXXXXXX, Grand Rapids, Michigan
I think the time after high school is the most important. Life changes A LOT when it's time for college and independent living. Kids really tend to grow up when they find themselves out of their usual routine and crowd. That's the only reason they may not stay with their boyfriend/girlfriend.

OneBlackGirl BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Love the difference!

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but people change alot as they enter their adulthood. and you say your boyfriend and you will stay together forever based on about two and a hhalf years?

his_country_girl SILVER, Goshen, Indiana

"Reality is almost always wrong."-House

"Don't worry when you feel something, worry when you don't."- SVU

i agree with rachaelllx3 and TeaCat you have no right to say what is and is not okay. everyone is different. i'm under 18, and i have a boyfriend. we're in love. and i'm passing my classes. it's possible to do everything. :)

"Reality is almost always wrong."-House

i am in high school and i am madly in love with my boyfriend, so don't say it's not true love. it is. he truly loves me too. we've been through h**l and back together. so yeah, you can find your true love in high school. i've been with mine since freshman year, and i'm almost a senior, so is he. HA. :D lol

"Reality is almost always wrong."-House

i disagree with your statistics, just saying. you can't know that for a fact.

"Reality is almost always wrong."-House

i completely agree with this! a lot of people say that me and my boyfriend can't be in love, that we're too young, and other stuff. but i know we're in love, and that we'll always be together. we've been together since freshman year, and we're almost seniors! teenage love does exist!

ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other

"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

How can you not believe in teenage love?, Teenage love is an intense feeling, described as a magic feeling, how can you not believe in magic, Everyone needs Magic/Love in their lives

XXXXXXXX said...
XXXXXXXX, Grand Rapids, Michigan
I don't think 'love' just happens. Two people can be compatible in high school. They can have a strong and trusting relationship, but love is something that develops over time, so it's just more likely for older people to find love. They've had more time to realize what they want and to build relationships.

normgrl GOLD said...
normgrl GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida

Do we eat to live or live to eat?

Although I myself don't believe in teenage love and for some reason think I never will, in my honest opinion, there are rare times when high school love survive throughout many years and blossom to something more. However, you need to have that special bond for something as strong - and confusing - as "love" to withstand any obstacle that might come in its way or to be rekindled after long years of separation.

i believe in teenage love, I'm graduating this year. I've been dating my best friend of 12 years for the past 6 and he gave me a promise ring at the last dance. we want to get through college before we even think of moving on to a formal engagement. But i think that helps prove, teenage love exists.