Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

August 19, 2009
By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 923 comments.


redddd said...
on Mar. 5 2011 at 7:37 am
i think theres different stages to love and when you are younger you have your first love and as you grow older you realize more what is right for you. however, my parents met when they were 17 and married when they were 27. they still love eacher over 30 years later. They both had grown from their mistakes and realized what they needed. middle school or elementary school, as some people have said, is only infatuation. you find someone attractive and you havent felt like that before and you "love" them, i know, ive been there. but as you grow older you realize whose right for you and who only wants to do bad towards you and this realization could come at any age. 16 or 36.

on Mar. 4 2011 at 9:25 pm
AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona
22 articles 0 photos 179 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

Of course! You can love at any age! To love someone is to care about them deeply.  We are born with the innate ability to love our friends and family, and that capacity to love readily spreads to other kinds of love.

hpfreak721 said...
on Mar. 4 2011 at 8:35 pm

I could not have said it better myself. I am a senior in high school and I have a boyfriend that I have said I love you to, and I do love him. He's my best friend and the way you described love is definitely the way I feel about it.(:

<3


on Mar. 4 2011 at 6:29 pm

oh really you did? so ur married to this person now?

cause if you fall in love then you would never let them go


livkota said...
on Mar. 4 2011 at 5:52 pm
Even if your young like me, you are never too young to fall in the spell of love.  It compells you.  It lingers in your thoughts.  It is what life is meant to be for.   Love  <3

on Mar. 4 2011 at 8:02 am
i dont like to learn i want a bf

on Mar. 4 2011 at 8:00 am
i belive that you can fall in love in elementarary school i did

catty said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 11:06 pm
Yes, good point.

cleeeeeo :) said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 8:23 pm
I think it is important to keep an open mind in highschool, no matter which type of chemistry you're learning.  There are so many people who have a boyfriend/girlfriend in highschool, and never forget about them for the rest of their lives.  Whether you stay with that person forever, or you break up after a few months, there are some people that stick with you.  They are what you compare all future relationships to, and the people who, when you are alone at night, make you cry, either from the hurt of missing them, or the hurt of your still broken heart.  Giving an age restriction on love is like saying a person can only properly breathe when they turn 18.  It comes at different times for every person, and you may not even realize it until you are married to another true love, but I am certain that you can find true love in highschool.

twix said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 7:42 pm
When your in highschool sure you can have a bf or gf but the whole reason your going to school is to learn, i dont really think theres such a thing as TRUE LOVE in highschool because i mean comeon you havent even had a chance to see what else could be special in your life theres soo much more in life than looking for your TRUE LOVE, i truley think that in a way having a bf or gf in highschool is sortof a distraction between you and your dreams or goals.

countrygirl said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 5:51 pm
hiiiiiiiiii

Girl101LOL said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 2:41 pm
i belive that there is even love in middle school... maybe even through out life!

B.Geeh<3' said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 12:46 pm
i Believe You Can Fall In Love In High School , But At Times Girls Take It To The Next Level Like 4 Example When Her Bf Breaks Up With Her She Wants To Kill Herself To Be Honest Dont Stress It They're So MANY Guys Out There That When You Look Back Your Gonna Be Like Why Did iGo Out With That Jerk! Honestly Go To College & Find You A Good Guy !

angie93 said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 12:38 pm
 

rachaelllx3 said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 11:07 am
sorry but i have to disagree. school work is school work and love life is love life. its not like highschoolers are going to go around not paying any attention to anything in school because they have a boyfriend\girlfriend. who cares if they do?

Sunshine1234 said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 10:47 am
My auntie and uncle were going out from being about 13 or 14 and are still married now at over 40.

ISeeTheWorld said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 9:40 am
I think you "te quiero" your boyfriend more than "te amo". There's no way to say it in English, you love your boyfriend but if you are still spelling "you" as "yu" you cannot be mature enough to be IN LOVE. You are infatuated and smitten and happy, but chances are it won't last forever.

I<3 JB said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 9:21 am
I THINK THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO FALL IN LOVE IN HIGH SCHOOL BUT I MEAN IN HIGH SCHOOL THERE IS SOOOOO MUCH DRAMA. ALTHOUGH, MY GRANDPARENTS WERE HIGHSCHOOL SWEETHEARTS....

countryboy said...
on Mar. 2 2011 at 11:09 pm
i for one do not belive in the idea of one true love in the fact of one person only i personly think that love is love you might love a band you might love a food but whan you love a person it starts of as a friendship and becomes more and turns into a relasinship and you build onto to it more and more every day its a emoten and so much more that you may naver no that the one true love you always dreamed about was all along you bast friend so thats why i belive thares some truelove in high school o and i also think that thares three steaps to love so to speak 1: friendship 2:dateing getting closer and more known with the person and 3:true love :) if you dont like what all i said plase lat me no i would like to no what you think of this have agood one(^=^)

hmmm.. said...
on Mar. 2 2011 at 10:30 pm
Come on, guys! Those of you who are saying that you're teens and you're as serious as adults in your relationship need to realize that you need to focus on school and your family and your friends when you are a child (under 18). Of course you can date, but you should not be doing things adults do when you are not an adult!!