Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

hannybanany9 said...
I beleive in teenage love a whole lot. I think that I am in love but don't for sure know yet. But I absoultuley agree to this article.!

munchy22 said...
I do believe there is teenage love because most kids are in a very serious relationship with their spouses. So i think there is existence in teenage love.

i believe in teenage love cuz even if u arnt married to that person when ur a adult u have some excpierence in dating from being ateenager

CourtneyHammett BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
Does anyone else think it's a brain thing? One that requires work, but chemical nonetheless?

WolfCriedSong BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas

"You're only as tall as your heart will let you be, and you're only as small as the world will make you seem." -Nevershoutnever

I used to believe that there was a true love, that there was more than one possible true love and I still do. I have dated a lot of guys and have been smart about it, do I know everything about dating because of this? No. I always liked the guys I went out with and maby once thought I was in love but I soon realised that I wasn't. I figured truly falling in love only happened to adults but then I fell in love. I know its not just puppy love or something similar because I have experienced that before, no theres something about our love that I know is true. Weather or not it lasts has nothing to do with love, it has to do with the two people making it work together. Whenever someone tells me that it can't be true love because we are too young, all I have to do is look into his eyes and I know it is.

Candy.Sash said...
i completely agreee

alanahlovee BRONZE, Monroe, Ohio

"Bleeding heart, he called her. Well, he should know. He was the first one to tear it to pieces."- nineteen minutes, jodi picoult

I believe that some teenagers fall in love in high school, but I believe that many do not. From experience, I think that what many girls believe is 'love' is just infatuation or puppy love. Without any past experiences or knowing what love feels like, how could they differentiate between the two? I don't mean this to be offensive, as I was one of these girls, but most of the time.. we're just ignorant. We're young. We think that that first committed relationship will last forever, just because we've never been in that type of relationship before. Adults say that teenagers don't truly know what love is because they have most likely been in a situation where they were in 'love' and then got their heart broken. Ask almost any adult, and they'll probably say they thought they were in love with the person and believed they would be together forever. People (not everyone, of course) go along thinking that they're going to marry their middle school/high school sweetheart, and most of the time, it doesn't happen. I think people can fall in love when they're young, but it is a rarity. Most teenagers who do get married get divorced. I think most teenage 'love' is meant to be an experience to learn from.

OpenHeart13 SILVER, Ada, Ohio

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it

I am 14 and definitly think im in love. I have been with the same guy for almost a year and a half. we have through a lot but no one should tell us if we really love each other because only us two would ever know. yes sometimes yu can tell by how someone talks about that other person or how they look into that someones eyes but no one should judge the age of love, when it is impossible to set an age when yu are capable of feeling so much for one person and being able to look at that person, say i love yu and know yu want to truely spend the rest of yur life with each other.

JesserFressers PLATINUM, Pevely, Missouri

If you love something, set it free....If it comes back, it was meant to be...If it continues to fly...let it soar...And have faith that God has something better in store...

I completely believe in teenage love. Being a teenager doesnt change anything. We are people and we are capable of feeling what adults feel. I am only 15, and I am completely, deeply and truely in love with my significant other.  Adults think that just because we arent married we dont know what love feels like. Well thats like saying just because no ones called you ugly doesnt mean you dont think that. Marrige or not, anyone at any age can feel love.

Riley_C GOLD said...
Riley_C GOLD, Gaithersburg, Maryland

"There is simply nothing worse than knowing how it ends." -Brendon Urie

Teenage Love does exist. Not for everyone in a relationship, but for a special few. And when you find it, you may not even know that's what you have until it's gone.

deafening_silence SILVER, Miami, Florida

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" -Elenor Roosevelt

Oh my gosh definitely! I completely agree. :)

MaKaylaa said...
MaKaylaa, Litchfield, Michigan

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

I agree with teenage love, but there is a difference with being married and just being high school sweethearts.. I'm in a high school relationship, and most of you are I understand that, But there is a huge difference because your more fully commited to the person your with? Anyone agree?

Muse16 BRONZE said...
Muse16 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

"If you don't like something changes it...if you can't change it, change your attitude about it."

I totally agree with you. I feel that love has no age limit and it can blossom at anytime because love is a gift. Thank you for posting this because I feel some adults who say that we are "too young for love" dont really know how "love feels like themselves sometimes. So when young people believe that they are in love they should just smile and not let anyone shoot them down because it's the most amazing feeling in the world I know from experience and I refuse to let my balloon get popped because of what others think.

Howahkan said...
Howahkan, Litchfield, Michigan

"everyone will hurt you, you just got to find the ones worth suffering for"

evryone believes love can happen at first site or that as soon as you get with a person its love, i think differently.yes i do believ in high school love but i tink personaly too many people are searching for it.too many people are fantisizing what they believe it should be, we all have our own opinions on what we believe love is and how we should show one another but personaly i think too many people base that on movies, news flash,not all love is like a movie.so whether you believ in highschool love or not is your choice but dont base it on fiction,books,and tv shows.

this is true......... mostly ur high skewll sweetheartss stay together foeverrrrrrr i totally agree wit dahhhhtt

untamedwritten SILVER, Idaho Falls, Idaho
i think love is love. but it can be broken. most people don't know what love is or feels like. we all have differant "tastes" i guess. love for me, is being able to sare everything to each other. and not caring what other people think. it doesn't have anything to do with age, more along the lines of personality and likes. if two people can stand up together after going through the worst things possible, and still be able to say i love you, your my best friend, then that right there is love in my eyes.

Maddyandsnoopy GOLD, Rocklin, California

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I agree. I view teenage love as more fast paced and desperate (not pathetic desperate. Desperate to be together desperate.) than marriage love. Marriage love is more low key and natural because they already know each other and have been in love for awhile. They're both love, just different.

NinaQ GOLD said...
NinaQ GOLD, Seattle, Washington

Pick your heart up off the floor
Sometimes, there are things you can only do alone
You can cry for now but just become stronger the next day

Im 13.. I fell in love.. True love.

Love needs to stop being judged by age.

If you know how precious something can be, you know what love is like :)

If you're one of those kids that start a relationship and than immidietly start saying I love you to each other ... You're kinda desperate >.>

SOUL7 said...
SOUL7, Kampala,Uganda, Texas

\'A BIRD DOES N\'T SING BECAUSE IT HAS NO, IT SINGS BECAUSE TI HAS A SONG\"

I too wonder<. If they say that teenagtgers don't know what love is!!then when will they know?<.at 80 years of age?

Anabelle BRONZE, Orion, Illinois

\"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.\"
Friedrich Nietzsche

agreed. =]