Opulence | Teen Ink

Opulence MAG

By AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan
AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy. ~Henry Kissinger

Life it too short to let you matter.

I’ve been watching him for days now. When he leaves his house to go to school, I’m the one carefully tailing him, switching cars every day to make myself look less suspicious. If he ever sneaks out of his second-story room, I’ll be the one silently watching from a nearby tree. In class when he turns, feeling eyes on the back of his head, I’m the one who sent the hair on the back of his neck up on end. I am the girl whose shadow is always slightly overlapping his.

Being assigned to watch him almost makes me
feel like I’m not a stalker. Though I’m only 17, I’m a full-fledged member of the organization known as O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E. I’ve been with them since the ­tender age of five. It’s my home. Being an orphan, my office is also my permanent residence, the couch a fold-out bed. There are many others like me: no family. A lot of us are loners and haven’t chosen this route for ourselves.

I’m a tracker. I have been for years and some might say that I am the best at not being the best. In other words, I’m great at being invisible. Or at not being noticed. It’s not as hard as the others in the organization think. Being young and female is good, since most we track are young. Seeing me around younger people – my age, actually – doesn’t raise alarm bells. It helps that I’m cute. With a small frame, light hazel eyes, and short blond hair that curls under my chin, I don’t appear threatening. Of course, my ­organization-funded training doesn’t back that theory.

Soon I won’t be tracking down others with the power. They are finally going to give me an apprentice. After years of mastering everything I’ve been taught, they see my potential. That’s not to say I know everything. Even with my extended life I won’t be able to learn all the things I want to. If only this annoying boy would show the signs. It’s been almost a week. If he doesn’t show soon, they’ll reassign me. That much longer until I get my apprentice.

So here I am, sipping a latté and waiting for the Target to leave for school. I have been put in all of his classes in case something happens there, though I graduated high school years ago. Private tutors sped things up. With no family or personal ties, I had lots of time to devote to my studies. Martial arts black belts. Twelve languages, not including English. Everything a girl needs for a serious career in the agency. Such positions of power are not handed out easily. You must prove yourself many times over.

The Target and I have never spoken, but I know a lot about him. His file told me some, but after watching him for only a few days, I feel confident in saying that I know things no one else does. Not just the obvious, either. He resents his father and is protective of his mother, which makes me suspect the father is less than faithful. He smiles often but doesn’t make a lot of eye contact. He usually only speaks when spoken to. Although he has many friends, he isn’t close with any of them. The Target is observant, a watcher. This leads me to believe we would get along if he shows any promise.

I look down at my watch, then back at his house a few blocks away. The Target is late, which means I’ll be late too. Today my ride is a shiny black sports car, not out of place in this suburb full of midlife-crisis men. I turn on the engine impatiently. I’m fiddling with the radio when I hear something. I don’t feel any immediate danger, and I know to trust those feelings. But I ­also know that something is off.

Just as I am about to get out of the car and pretend to look in the trunk, the passenger door opens. I look up in surprise as the Target slides into the seat next to me. I grin, quite pleased by this turn of events. This is definitely a good sign. Perhaps intuition is strong in him. That would be good for my apprentice to have, complementary. I could handle having to deal with that.

“Hello, Lenna. Why have you been following me for a week now?” the Target asks lightly, conversationally, his first words ever said in my direction.

Ah, one of my many aliases. The organization set it up so that whenever I’m on a case, I get a new name, past, and present. It’s very powerful. The organization can basically do anything it needs; it has people everywhere imaginable. I’m just one of many, though there aren’t that many at the top, as I am. They don’t trust many to be trackers. Or to be apprentices. All of the full members have the power, though we control others to get things done.

My smile deepens as I say in my authoritative, professional voice, “My real name is Jade. I am a witch of the moon and a tracker for the organization known as O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E. You are also a witch. We would like to formally welcome you into the organization as my apprentice. Here is my card for verification.”

Jade Wordsworth
Tracker for O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E
Official Political Understanding Lending ­Everyone ­Navigation for Co-Existing Ethereals
Office hours: 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Mon-Sat
Phone: 555-5555
Proud league of witches of the sun and moon.
Worldwide.

“What do you mean ‘moon and sun’? Or ‘tracker’?” he asks, still looking at my card like it’s going to ­disappear.

“Types of magic. Moon is all about spells, the sun is more potion-based, though each type of witchcraft involves the other somehow. As a tracker, I find people like you and I bring them to O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E. Every witch must register, train, and become a member by law. In fact, the organization is like a government targeted toward witches,” I explain with a smile, loving the fact that this time I get to teach the newbie.

“Magic? Seriously?” he asks, eyes wide, meeting mine. They are large, yellow, and catlike.

I click a button on my left, automatically locking the doors. I put the car into drive, pulling out onto the road. As an afterthought I add as a courtesy, “I think you had better come with me.” .

beautiful said...

i love this story!!! its so addictive, you emidiatly get cought into it!!! its awsome and i hope that i can read the rest soon!!!! thankk you so much! please keep writeing!

:D

Singinstar GOLD, Commack, New York

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway"

that was insanely good...keep writing!

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

If you keep this up, get more viewers, and talk to the right people, I predict you could publish a book. Great job!

towerjunkie019 SILVER, Grandview, Washington

"go then, there are other worlds than theese."
Jake Chambers

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion"
-MJK

this reminds me of a stephen king i once read.  I would be very interested in a novel about it.  please continue to write theese fantastic stories.

purpleperson BRONZE, Winnipeg, Other

"Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present"
(this isn't my quote...i don't know who wrote it)

That was awesome! if you made that into a novel i would honestly buy like 1000 copies and give them to my friends! Write moreee!

TreeFrog SILVER, Round Rock, Texas

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
~Audrey Hepburn

This is really great! You're a fantastic writer. (:

ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

I really like this. I can definitely see this becoming a fiction novel! :) Nice work!

(could you maybe take a look at my stuff?) Thank you :P

VampireX GOLD said...
VampireX GOLD, Spotsylvania, Virginia
This is incredible. I love the magic and mysteries.

L.T.A SILVER said...
L.T.A SILVER, Hammond, Indiana

All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.-- Samuel Butler

that is awesome. you should totally write a second one.

NicAliceF GOLD said...
NicAliceF GOLD, Tacoma, Washington

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway

I love the fact that the reviews, negative or positive inspire you to write, that, in itself, is inspiring.

Writing is almost a drug, isn't it? :)

MairGwyn PLATINUM, Sterling, Virginia
I think this is great! However I get some sort of deja vu from it, I don't know what it is I'm not saying anything about it, I love it

BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
I absolutely love it. I think that you've really got alot of talent. Keep it up!

EternityRain GOLD, Burkesville, Kentucky

There is nothing worse
than not seeing much of the world
But having seen enough
To know you dont want to be a part of it......

Hey AquaGem,

I loved your story it was very entertaining and enjoyable. Can't wait to read more of your work!

Dreamheart said...
Dreamheart, Henderson, Nevada
cool, thanks!

AquaGem SILVER said...
AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Life it too short to let you matter.

Hello everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been able to update or read your articles as much lately. But to let you all know what's going on... I'm about halfway through with the novel Opulence. I'd also like you to know that whenever I'm feeling down or am searching for inspiration to write, I come back here to read your comments! They really inspire me, whether they're negative or positive. Thank you so much for commenting and reading! I'm going to go write now!

AquaGem SILVER said...
AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Life it too short to let you matter.

Ha "bask in the warmth" ... you are too kind! Thanks so much and glad you enjoyed it.

AquaGem SILVER said...
AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Life it too short to let you matter.

Thank you! So in the novel version I'm writing Evan takes more time to believe in magic and needs a demonstration. Also she started out in the Organization because she was in the foster system and things weren't going well.

AquaGem SILVER said...
AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Life it too short to let you matter.

Yes I'm still writing it as a book :) about half way done! I have a lot of the plot figured out so now it's just the writing. I'll be sure to keep you all updated and thank you soooo much for the interest.

KourtneyBriann BRONZE, Niles, Michigan
Love it! Soooooo cool. Plzzzzzz someone give me some feedback for my work. I REALLLLLLLLY NEEEEEED IT!!! (:

DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

cool.  hey, if anyone has any free time, can you read and comment on my article?  thanks!