Absolutely Nothing. | Teen Ink

Absolutely Nothing.

February 4, 2010
By Claudia Morales BRONZE, Miami, Florida
Claudia Morales BRONZE, Miami, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

I walk into the car, legs trembling ever so slightly, and sit. The shoulder restraints come down, and I urge them to further protect me. My fingers find the small, conveniently-placed handles and grasp them to the most of their ability. Cast members make the final restraint checks, give the operator an enthusiastic thumbs-up, and a button is pushed. The car starts moving. No matter where I sit, I can see the wheels spinning on the track before me. Most of them are at a comfortable speed, enough to advance us but nothing horrible. When I glance further ahead, I see the final wheels spinning at a seemingly impossible velocity.

The car enters the diagonal tube, climbing upwards, and there is a frantic voiceover. Lights flashing. Noise. For the most part, these effects go unnoticed by me as I brace myself for the inevitable. There’s a countdown. I close my eyes, and the car shoots forward into the light, soon flipping upside down. The roll is followed by a drop which leads into a massive cobra roll. By this time, any fear I had has abandoned my body and left euphoria in its place. I open my eyes through the turns, twists, and loops. Everything rushes past me—ground, sky, buildings. I feel untouchable.

The ‘real world,’ has ceased to exist for those few minutes. I’m all smiles, all laughter. I feel as though I’m literally flying, something I could only ever dream of doing. The pressure of gravity pushes me into the seat, and my stomach flips as the roller coaster follows its course. I feel nothing but the speed, the drops, the loops, and my own excitement.

And, for those few moments, absolutely nothing can defeat me.

The author's comments:
Being a self-proclaimed adrenaline junkie, roller coasters are just my idea of amazing. This piece encompasses perhaps an iota of what they make me feel.